Reasons To Be Thankful

This year is not quite over but it has provided a few years worth of momentous occasions already. There is an old Chinese curse that says "May you live in interesting times". Thanks for that.
This year has had a few. I'm just going to list them because I don't want to ramble and leave anything out.

My reasons to be thankful in 2012...in no particular order:

My health - I set my self a big challenge this year to get on the bike with purpose and do the Etape, a stage of the Tour de France. Not just any stage, the Circle of Death. 200km and 22,523 feet of climbing. One day in July saw this become a reality. After 10 hours and 7,000 calories (7 months and 3,000 miles of training). It has given me a such a lift and renewed my sense of wonder that regular people can do amazing things. The French people on those cold mountain tops in the Pyrenees to give us encouragement will stick with me forever. For that I am thankful.

Mont Ventoux - part of a great year on the bike
Job - These are interesting times. I've seen colleagues come and go over the years. I know a business is a business and I am thankful to be able to contribute. 

Family - I have a wonderful family. They drive me crazy and I love them for it. I never know what to expect with them and it has made my life what it is today to be a part of theirs. I miss my family in the US and the contact I have with them although limited, is very precious. I am thankful.




Friends - I had some tough times this year. Most recently, I got knocked out cold by a van while riding a bike home on Halloween. Fortunately our friends stepped in to help with the kids, collecting the bike and support. Even friends on the other side of the Atlantic and around the world. When people reach out to you when something bad happens it says so much. I really appreciate all the kind words and support. I feel that this incident, like no other I can remember, has made me truly grateful to be sharing this planet with so many wonderful people. Thank you.



The Olympics - The city we live in had the Olympics this year. I signed up to volunteer a billion years ago and was accepted to do the road cycling events. These were just two weeks after my bike ride in France so I didn't have much time to think about it. First day of the Olympics, first medal event, Mens Road Race. I was on a road crew outside Leatherhead (of all places) train station. The people of the town were excited, we were excited but nothing could prepare me for what would happen. Seeing the train loads of people walking down from the platform in all their national colors, Belgians, Americans, French, German, Russians, Brazilians...I almost cried. All these people from all over the world came to watch the Olympics in the city we call home these days. Today, on these roads and over Box Hill and Richmond Park where I have ridden so many miles was just amazing. Once in a lifetime experience. For that I am thankful.

Our road crew

Mens Road Race

Bradley Wiggins - I couldn't mention The Tour and the Olympics without mentioning Wiggo. In a time when champions are likely to be cheaters, it's heartwarming to see someone dedicate themselves to a goal. Inspired no doubt by a horrible father he grew up in London to go on to take international cycling and make it his own. Olympic track, road racing, Olympic road racing. 2012 was a good year for Bradley Wiggins and he has helped put cycling in the news for all the right reasons. Thank you.

Sir Brad

Comments

Popular Posts